Sunday, January 9, 2011

Apologia Academy!

Apologia Academy!


       As a current semester of school is finishing and a new one starting, I thought it would be appropriate to give a little advertisement to the best    ( I think) online academy around! 

Many of you may be familiar with the Apologia science curriculum but may not be aware that they started an online academy in the fall of 2009.  The Academy offers both science courses as well as Bible and Worldview classes. 
I took my first class with the academy in their very first semester of fall 2009..... it was an awesome experience!   I took  the "Introduction to Apologetics" class and was hooked :)   At the time I had been out of school for a year ( having graduated in '08 ) and was looking for a way to continue my education.   I wasn't sure where the Lord was leading me and what it was He wanted me to focus my energies on ( am I sure now? :]) but I knew I wanted to take some classes and what could be better than starting with a Bible class?   My mom showed me the list of classes in the Apologia catalog and "Introduction to Apologetics" caught my eye.   What was "apologetics"?   I hadn't heard that word before, was it something way over my head?

Here is a copy of what was written in the catalog:

Intro to Apologetics: A Survey of Evidence - Semester 1
This course is a survey of the evidence for the central truths of Christianity – the existence of God, the deity and resurrection of Christ and the authority and truth of the Bible. Defense of the Christian faith is a Biblical command. Christians must be prepared to explain what they believe and why they believe it, with gentleness and respect. There are 'proofs' given by God, which are throughout the Bible. This course will focus on those 'proofs' and argue that Christianity is superior to all other worldviews because it is the most reasonable. The evidence for truth, God, and the Bible will be examined in logical order and in a simple, non-technical, engaging style.  [1]


"Defense of the Christian faith is a Biblical command."  "proofs given by God,....throughout the Bible."  "superior to all other worldviews because it is the most reasonable." These few sentences caught my eye.  There were real answers to the questions that I couldn't answer when talking to my family members?  God-given proofs in the Bible?  And then the big one, it is the most reasonable?  
 
Wow, that would be awesome to be able to "defend" my faith with reasonable answers!   Having some of the answers to questions that always get asked when witnessing would really be nice! 

And so... I signed up.  (It also helped that I had loved the Apologia science courses I had taken in High School and already had a favorable impression.)

Classes started in September and I was blown away.  I couldn't wait for the next class.  Once a week my amazing teacher would present to us ways to defend our faith and showed facts that supported our faith.  It was my favorite day of the week!!  The books I read were brimming over with incredible examples of God's amazing precision when He created our universe and world.  Scientific facts that had been tested numerous times and could not be refuted were supporting a designed universe and world.  Speaking of "design", my class learned about the Teleological Argument:
                                    1. Every design had a designer.
                                    2. The universe has a highly complex design.
                                    3. Therefore, the universe had a designer. [2]

Duh! Why couldn't I think of logical, and very obvious reasons like the above argument when talking with friends and family? 
What about the Cosmological Argument:
                                   1. Everything that had a beginning had a cause.
                                   2. The universe had a beginning.
                                   3. Therefore the universe had a cause. [3]
(Why does the Sound of Music lyrics always run through my head when I think about this argument? ~ "..nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could..."
Again, another very logical and scientifically proven argument that would help me defend my faith and my Lord and Savior.
And much, much, more.  I learned so much in that first class.  As I look back, I can see God's hand at work with His perfect timing. 
Am I now familiar with "apologetics"?  Well,.... the word derives from the Greek word apologia, which means in so many words "reasonably defend". Therefore, apologetics means reasonably defending our faith.  Am I now familiar enough with the facts to answer all the questions?  NO, I scratched a very tiny corner of the huge world of apologetics!  There is so much more!   However, it did give me a little bit more confidence when I would talk to my family and friends.  It is very reasonable to believe in God the Creator and Savior of our world! He has given us an amazing universe and world that displays his handiwork. 

Of course, when I finished the first semester I had to take to the "Advanced Apologetics: Creation vs. Evolution" class that was just as incredible and then this past semester I took "Intro. to Worldviews: Contemporary Worldview vs. the Christian Worldview."  I'm not sure which class I have enjoyed or learned the most from!  Each class was unique.  My teacher Mr. Blythe (who is also the Director of the Academy and a terrific teacher :]) teaches all of the Bible classes except for this past semesters philosophy class!  He chose some amazing books to go along with the classes that have truly changed my life.

I can not recommend Apologia Academy enough!  Please go and check it out!  If you are planning on attending college, these classes will more than adequately prepare you. If you are staying home and desire to further your education you certaintly will!  If you are married, but desire to learn about apologetics, it is well worth it.  If you are a Christian and desire to defend your faith reasonably you will learn truths that will make you shout for joy that God chose you to be one of His children!

If you would like to listen to a sample of some of the classes you can go to www.apologiaacademy.com . Just click the "Free Webinars" button in the column on the right and it will give you a list of the 17 free webinars that Apologia gave this past summer!  Each class gives you an option to download or stream it to your computer.  
Hint: -"I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" is a sneak peek to the "Intro. to Apologetics" class.

Please, Please, Please check it out and consider taking a class! It is well worth it.  I had not realized until I started taking classes that God actually commands us to prepare ourselves for the questions we are asked in 1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."KJV

I felt the Lord leading me to share with you this wonderful academy and the classes it offers!  May God bless you and your day!

Footnotes:
    1. http://www.apologiaacademy.com/courses.asp
    2. I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist pg. 95
    3. I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist pg. 75

5 comments:

  1. Miss Devin,

    I had never heard of Apologia Academy before, so I checked out the website. It seems to be a very wonderful resource for those seeking a more in depth look at Christian apologetics.

    I think that it is wonderful that you have found a way to further your education in this very important area. As 1 Peter 3:15 says, we should always be ready to give an account of the hope we have in Christ. This is so important as it often is a great witnessing tool.

    Have there been any specific classes that you particularly enjoyed or have found to be the most helpful? For me personally, I have always enjoyed archeology and how it complements the Bible so well.

    God Bless,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh,

    I'm glad you checked out Apologia Academy. It has been a wonderful resource for myself and our family. We used the science curriculum while we were homeschooling and loved it.

    As far as the Apologetics and Worldview classes go, I have learned so much from them! I think the first class that I took, "Introduction to Apologetics" was my favorite class. Partly because it was the first time I had heard anything about apologetics. All of the classes are taught by Mr. Blythe, so they all contain bits and peices from the "Introduction..." class.
    I also really enjoyed one of the books we had to read for that class called "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" by Norman Geisler & Frank Turek. It taught me so much.

    I know what you mean about how archeology compliments the Bible. It's always thrilling to hear of new accounts that prove the accuracy of the Bible! Have you seen the new Archeological Bible? I think it is a NIV.

    In Him,
    Devin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Devin,

    I have heard good things about 'I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Athiest' but I have never read it before. I am definitely going to have to check it out. I really enjoy reading Norman Geisler's books as well as those by A.W. Tozer. I have Geisler's 'Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics,' which has been a great resource for me.

    It is neat that you mentioned the Archeology Bible. Not too long ago my brother Dan was looking at it on Amazon. I think they just came out with a KJV as well.

    God Bless,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh ~

    I've been working on having an apologetics conference at our church for the past few months and it finally happened yesterday! I was able to have Mr. Blythe come up and speak at our church. His presentation was based on the book "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist" (IDHEF). As he liked to say, we were "drinking out of a fire hose". Getting the short version of what usually takes a full semester in four hours. It was fantastic. We're hoping to have him come up again some time.

    I think if you go to the Frank Turek's (one of the authors) website www.crossexamined.org, he has some free videos that have him speaking on different topics in his book. I should say right up front that we don't agree with the music he plays on the videos but what Mr. Turek has to say is really good. We listened to him at the National Apologetics Conference last year and he was our favorite speaker.

    God has truly given us a wonderful world that displays His handiwork in incredible ways!

    In Him,
    Devin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss Devin,

    Wow! That is incredible that you were able to have your teacher come to your church. That would have been very interesting to here. If you ever have him come again, please let me know. I think I told your sister that my uncle lives in Concord so it probably wouldn't be that far of a drive for us.

    I just got back from work but I will definitely check out the website this evening. Sounds like a great resource. Thank you for sharing it.

    God Bless,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete