Friday, February 18, 2011

Reading....

Hello All!
 In my last post I talked about one of my families New Year's resolution - cleaning and organizing a certain section of the house each season.  In this post I am going to comment on one of my personal goals..........reading...   I love to read and read and read.  Last year however was not a great reading year :[  I was so busy doing other things that I only read a few books.  This year I want to read at least one book per month if not two.  January started off very well - I was able to finish six books! 
1. Thinking Biblically by John MacArthur
2. Elsie Dinsmore   by Martha Finley
3. Elsie's Holidays at Roselands   by Martha Finley
4. Elsie's Girlhood   by Martha Finley
5. Elsie's Womanhood   by Martha Finley
6. Joyfully At Home   by Jasmine Baucham
(Obviously I am trying to re-read the Elsie Series. There are twenty-eight in all! It doesn't seem to matter how old I am, I always enjoy these books.)

This month I have started a book by Jerry Bridges called "Respectable Sins" which has been really convicting.  I'm sure I will have several things to share regarding what I am learning in that book.  Mr. Bridges writes very clearly and makes the book an easy one to read.  He brings truths to home that at times I've found heart-wrenching.

For school books I've started "The Life of Christ: The Smart Guide to the Bible Series" by Robert C. Girard.  This is for my Life of Christ class with Apologia Academy. The other book is "Constitutional Law for Enlightened Citizens" by Michael P. Farris Esq. which I am doing on my own.

Both have been really good and will be ongoing until the end of May.  In a few weeks I will also be starting to read "Experiencing the Passion of Christ" by John MacArthur for the Life of Christ class as well.

A few days ago I went up to our library (yes, the one that is almost finshed being organized) and picked out 74 books that I need to read preferably within the next year or two! :]  This may be a little unrealistic but as I went over our shelves I realized that their is so much I need to learn about so many things. 

One of the things that stuck out to me when I finished "Joyfully at Home" last month, was Jasmine's idea of redeeming our time at home through reading.  Not fictional romance or adventure books, but "meaty" books on church doctrine, church history, economics, history, government, homemaking, and other books that would further my knowledge in areas that I need to strengthen.  My time here at home may last my entire life or it may be for a few years, but however long it may be, I need to thank God for this time that I have to study His Word. Time that I have to read about economics, church history and other topics. Time that I have to pursue my hobbies. Time that I have with my family. Time that I have to serve God.  If God chooses that I should someday marry, I will not have the luxury of reading as much as I do now.  God has given me this time, what will I do with it?  Will I spend it dreaming of my future and twiddling my thumbs, or will I see it as a valuable and highly treasured gift to seek God's will, spend time with Him, and learn new things that I will need to be a better citizen, person, sister, daughter, friend and co-laborer in Christ in this country that God has placed me in.

Ephesians 5:16 "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."

No comments:

Post a Comment