Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day




As Mother's Day is tomorrow, I wanted to have a post commemorating the day.  I was thinking about what I wanted to write and came across this example of Jesus' love for Mary in my "Life of Christ" class.

The following is a quote from the book "Experiencing the Passion of Christ" by John MacArthur. 
"The pain of watching Jesus die must have been agonizing for Jesus' loved ones.  But for no one was it more difficult than Mary, His earthly mother.......Jesus saw her standing and grieving there, and His third saying from the cross reflects the tender love of a Son for His mother."  
John 19:26, 27 ~ "When Jesus therfore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, 'Womand, behold thy son!'  Then saith he to the disciple, 'Behold thy mother!'  And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home."
"He was making a gracious provision for Mary in the years to come.  He was delegating to John the responsibility to care for Mary in her old age.
This was a beautiful gesture, and it says a lot about the personal nature of Jesus' love.  Although He was dying under the most excruciating kind of anguish, Jesus, the King of love, selflessly turned aside to care for the earthly needs of those who stood by His side.  Although He was occupied with the most important event in the history of redemption, He remembered to make provision for the needs of one woman, His mother."

Even amidst the physical, unbearable pain, and the spiritually hearwrenching knowledge that His Father had turned His face from Him, Jesus took His eyes off Himself and set the example of looking to others needs above oneself.  He truly fulfilled the fifth commandment as perfectly as he fulfilled all the others, to love and honor His mother.

As I reflected on what I had read, I realized how Christ's life once again set the ultimate standard of how we are to live.  Jesus fulfilled His duty to the fifth commandment when He made sure that His mother would be taken care of in her old age once He was gone.

I had to ask myself.  "When I am in the middle of a stressful situation, do I put my concerns aside in order to see to the needs of others? ~ Especially the woman who has loved and cared for me my whole life?"  "Do I remember how much she has done for me and how much I owe her or do I take her for granted and not show her the love and care she deserves?" 

Mom and I are best friends.  It happens all the time, where she and I will say the exact same thing at the exact same time in a conversation.  Often times we know what the other is going to say before they even say it, because our minds are so similar.  And yet, sometimes we think differently.  When that happens do I make sure that my actions, thoughts, and words honor and show respect to her? 

What about those times that I am fustrated and nervous and am starting to snap with emotions.... while my mom is feeling the same way.  Do I put my self aside and help her?  I have to ask myself, "How many times has she comforted, encouraged, hugged and calmed me?  The answer?  More times that I can count.

The word Christian means "little Christ".   We are to be a "little Christ", a reflection of our Heavenly Father.  Do we fulfill the fifth commandment when it comes down to the emotionally or physically strained times?
Jesus was the perfect loving example.  We have His example to look at and imitate. Do we?

Mother's Day is a day that our country has set aside as a day to show apprecitation for our mothers.  We should show them our appreciation every day by the way we honor, obey, respect and love her.  However, since we have this extra special day, we should take the opportunity and make sure she knows how much she is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment