Monday, September 10, 2012

Fragile...Handle With Care

How do you commemorate a life well lived?  How do you express how much someone means to you?  How do you explain to others what you've learned by the example of someone else?


(Left Top) My sister, me & my brother (Bottom) Nana and Grampa
Taken 4 years ago at my Graduation.
 I don't really have the answer to any of those questions....but I'm going to try and trust the Lord to give me the words.

This year has been an extremely sad and yet happy year.  My grampa passed away last March and my nana went to be with him a little over a week ago.  As I wrote in my prayer journal after both of their deaths I was struck by how blessed I had been to have them as my grandparents.  I was filled with grief at the thought that I will never hear their special phrases again, or experience new things with them, or feel their arms wrap around me again.  But yet I can also smile amongst the tears and know that they came to know the Lord before they died.  That right now they are in heaven and I have the hope of one day seeing them in glory!!  There is such a peace that fills my heart in knowing that.  Knowing that they are with our Lord and Savior, the One who loves them more than I can imagine.  They are w/o pain and are rejoicing to be in heaven!

However, with these thoughts, I am also filled with the memories that they gave me.  Memories filled with love.  I only had them for 22 years and it doesn't seem like enough, yet I know that God knew it was enough.  Every time I walked into the door of their house I was welcomed with "Hello love" and a kiss from both of them.  When I would leave Nana would always say "You know you're welcome anytime, stop by anytime you're passing through."  and Grampa never failed to tell each of his grandaughters every time they left that "You're beautiful" and then he would walk us to the door. 

Life is fragile, handle with care.  The day after Nana went to be with the Lord, a man of 53 years of age went to be with the Lord.  This man had gone to school with my Dad and was what most people would say "the picture of health."  He was fit and worked out, he ate fairly well, and wasn't struggling with any diseases.  He just had a massive heart attack.  He had it at the fire station, so the EMT's were on him immediately and were able to revive him.  They brought him to the ER and were talking to him when he had another heart attack and was gone.  He had a divine appointment with the Lord.

Life is fragile, handle with care. We never know when the next person will be called home to the Lord....or maybe thier eternal destination is not so secure.  Love others....love them as Christ loves us.  With all our flaws and failures.  Forgive others...forgive them as Christ forgives us over and over and over again.  Share the Gospel with others....as the gospel was shared with you.  Never let the sun go down on your anger...it may be the last sunset for one of you.  I know this sound morbid, but it is so easy for us to get wrapped up in life and forget to smell the roses....hold that persons hand.....kiss that wrinkled cheek.....wipe that little tear.....tinkle that laughing child.....spend that extra 15 minutes talking......bake those favorite cookies for that special someone.....go through the old pictures and hear the stories.....LOVE...

God has a perfect plan in everything.  His timing is the best.  But only He knows the plans and the timing of them.  What will we do with the time He has given us?  What will we remember with that time?  Will that time be treasured?

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of his friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning…to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth…
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard…
are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.
That can still be rearranged

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what’s true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile…
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy’s being read
with your life’s actions to rehash…
would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent your dash?

by Linda Ellis


2 comments:

  1. What a special and thought-provoking post, Devin. Those moments that you spent with your grandparents are so precious and treasures to be remembered forever. You must miss them very much.
    It's so easy to take for granted the people that we live with and spend time with; however, in the blink of an eye, they are gone. My nephew unexpectedly passed away this spring after only 48 hours following his birth. This made me realize all the more how important it is to take each moment and make the most of it. And cherishing the times we have with those we care about. Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment Lydia.

    Unfortunately it often takes something drastic like a death, for us to realize how important life is and to make the most of it.

    I'm so sorry about your nephew. That must have been really hard.

    As you said, we need to cherish every moment.

    In Him,
    Devin

    ReplyDelete