Friday, April 22, 2011

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded




John 19:2 "The soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on His head."





O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
Written by Paul Gerhardt, based on a Latin poem

"O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
now scornfully surrounded, with thorns, thine only crown;
O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss till now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call Thee mine.

What Thou, my Lord, has suffered was all for sinners gain:
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain;
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! 'Tis I deserve thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest Friend,
for this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
Lord let me never, never outlive my love to Thee."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Miss Devin,

    This is a really nice hymn. The other day I was reflecting upon the Lord's crucifixion and how truly innocent He was. Even Pilate, who was a very harsh ruler, knew that Jesus had done nothing to deserve death.

    The verse you used reminded me of an Easter cantata my brother and I sang in a few years ago. "Once and For All" I believe it was called. There was a song in it about the soldiers gambling over Jesus' garments. I cannot remember the song's name, but it was about how the soldiers had no idea what was actually going on. They had no idea that Jesus was willingly dieing for them.

    Thank you for sharing this,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete